Monday, July 9, 2007

Technical details

1964 Imperials are over-built. They are more massively constructed under the dash, with heavier supports and extra brackets, all of which get in the way when you are trying to unbolt stuff. Add doors that have frozen shut from rust and age, other hulks cheek to jowl around it and specify that the floor be either rotted away or covered in ragged, rusty parts, or any combination thereof, and you will easily understand why it took me over two hours to get the vacuum booster for the power brakes out of the donor car. Getting in and out was an interesting act of contortion; I don't think the driver's door opened any more than 6 inches at the bottom. In the course of this job, I did the backwards-twist, sit and drag/ whole process reversal thing about seven times. I got soaked in the process, but as the other kind of weather available was hot sun, that took care of itself.
My learning curve contributed to slowing things down; this booster removal marks the first time I have ever done one.
Taking the busted one out and putting the donor booster in our car didn't take much more than 45 minutes - and resulted in some improvement, for a given value of some. I temporarily fixed a vacuum leak with some JuicyFruit gum, and will do it properly before we leave tomorrow. The problem is, as ever, that parts for old cars can be ordered in if you have a day or two or a week to wait in one spot for them. Which I will do when I get home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But...

didya hafta go to PepBoys and get 2 of one thing to cobble together a new device? (another thing I shoulda patented)

ahh, the memories!

You've learned well, Mosquito.

Can't wait for the full stories, preferably around a fire, Ipperwash, Labour Day weekend.

DJW

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).